Spellman Environmental Policy
Spellman High Voltage Electronics is committed to minimizing the environmental impact of its operations, products, and services while promoting environmental awareness and good practices among its employees. To achieve this we shall:
- Comply with all relevant environmental legislation and regulation;
- Set achievable objectives;
- Monitor, review, and continually improve our systems;
- Reduce our production of waste, and our use of energy and hazardous substances;
- Work with our suppliers to implement good environmental practices.
Environmental Preservation Plan Activities
Spellman High Voltage Electronics is committed to design and manufacture products that comply with environmental laws and regulations in all parts of the world. These regulations include the European Union Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) and Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) regulations.
In order to comply with these regulations Spellman High Voltage Electronics has an active plan to produce compliant products. The following actions are in progress:
- Communication with suppliers: Questionnaires were distributed to suppliers regarding requirements for elimination of banned materials and identification of compliant parts and materials. Data from responses is being compiled into a database and analyzed.
- Lead free solder technology: Lead free reflow oven and wave solder equipment is in operation. Lead free SMT and thru hole PCB assemblies are under continuous evaluation. Lead free hand solder technology has been introduced to Production and is under constant evaluation.
- Elimination of Hexavalent Chromium: A hexavalent chromium free metal coating was introduced in 2006. Currently, all metal parts are manufactured hexavalent chromium free.
- Product end use process development: Design requirements for ease of disassembly have been identified. Metal and PCB recycling processes have been identified. Packaging recycling practices are in effect.
We are actively working with our suppliers, industry experts, and regulatory agency representatives to stay current with developing RoHS and WEEE regulations and directives.
Commonly Asked Questions Concerning Environmental Preservation
Has ISO 14001 status been obtained?
Spellman High Voltage Electronics achieved ISO 14001:2004 certification status for the Hauppauge and Bohemia locations in May 2006.
Spellman High Voltage Electronics Ltd. UK achieved initial ISO 14001 status in November 2003 and achieved ISO 14001:2004 certification status upgrade to ISO14001:2004 in May of 2005.
Spellman High Voltage Mexico achieved ISO 14001-2004 on May 2, 2006.
Spellman High Voltage China, Spellman High Voltage Valhalla and Spellman High Voltage Japan are in the process of obtaining ISO 14001.
Does Spellman High Voltage Electronics have a training program for environmental issues?
Yes, employees are trained regarding the handling of hazardous materials and compliance with applicable laws. Training also includes environmental awareness, consumption and waste reduction, energy efficiency and promotion of other good environmental practices in the workplace.
Does Spellman High Voltage Electronics have a Manager to control and execute environmental policies?
Yes, an Environmental Manager was appointed in May 2003.
Does Spellman High Voltage Electronics have an active program to reduce waste and use of energy?
Yes, Spellman achieves this through the environmental management system. Active monitoring and action plans have reduced waste and energy consumption.
Does Spellman High Voltage Electronics assure that the products and services it supplies do not contain, or use during the manufacturing process, any chemicals or materials that are currently banned by any regulatory agency directives including JGPSSI and RoHS protocols?
Yes, monitoring of suppliers and processes is continuing to assure compliance.
Does Spellman High Voltage Electronics have a system in effect for self-auditing of environmental policies?
Yes, self-auditing of policies and procedures is in effect.
Does Spellman High Voltage Electronics publish information regarding progress and achievements related to environmental protection?
Yes, this is done through our website, annual review, e-mail, and letters to our customers and suppliers.
Click here to Download a PDF.